On May 8 we will be celebrating Mother's Day. Mother's Day is a time where we honor God for the gift of our mothers. We remember particularly their nurture, care, and for some of us our first introduction to Jesus Christ and faith. The modern holiday of Mother's Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother at St Andrew's Methodist Church in Grafton, West Virginia.
Today St Andrew's Methodist Church now holds the International Mother's Day Shrine.Her campaign to make "Mother's Day" a recognized holiday in the United States began in 1905, the year her mother, Ann Reeves Jarvis, died. Ann Jarvis had been a peace activist who cared for wounded soldiers on both sides of the American Civil War, and created Mother's Day Work Clubs to address public health issues. Anna Jarvis wanted to honor her mother by continuing the work she started and to set aside a day to honor all mothers, because she believed that they were "the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world".
In 1908, the US Congress rejected a proposal to make Mother's Day an official holiday, joking that they would have to proclaim also a "Mother-in-law's Day". However, owing to the efforts of Anna Jarvis, by 1911 all US states observed.
In honor of Mother's Day, here are some of our favorite Christian songs that help our celebrate.
1. The Ball Brothers "Hey Mama"
2. Point of Grace "The Greatest Show on Earth"
3. Steven Curtis Chapman "One Heartbeat at a Time"
4. Plumb "God Will Take Care of You"
5. Love and Outcome "The Story You're Building In Me"
6. Francesca Battistelli "When the Crazy Kicks in"
7. Mark Shultz "1,000 Miles"
8. Nichole Nordeman "Slow Down" 9. Wayne Watson "Watercolor Ponies"
10. Diamond Rio "Mama Don't Forget to Pray for Me"