News

Could Diddy Face Charges in Tupac Shakur’s Murder? Explosive Allegation Resurfaces as Keffe D Trial Unfolds


Published: Aug 21, 2026 01:00 AM EDT

Nearly 30 years after Tupac Shakur was gunned down in Las Vegas, one of hip-hop's most explosive allegations is suddenly back in the spotlight-and Sean "Diddy" Combs' name is once again being dragged into the mystery.

But there is one crucial fact that needs to be stated upfront: Diddy has not been charged in connection with Tupac's murder and has denied involvement.

The renewed attention comes as Duane "Keffe D" Davis, 63, stands trial in Las Vegas accused of orchestrating the September 1996 drive-by shooting that killed the 25-year-old rap superstar.

Prosecutors allege Davis helped plan the retaliatory attack following a confrontation at the MGM Grand involving Tupac and Davis's nephew, Orlando "Baby Lane" Anderson. Davis has pleaded not guilty, and his attorneys are taking the extraordinary position that jurors should not believe many of their own client's past incriminating statements.

Now one of Davis's most sensational old claims is resurfacing: his allegation that Diddy once offered $1 million for Tupac and Death Row Records boss Marion "Suge" Knight to be killed.

That allegation has circulated for years and has never resulted in Diddy being charged over Tupac's death. Diddy previously denied involvement.

Still, the ongoing trial has breathed new life into the story.

A retired law-enforcement official has discussed Davis's previous claims concerning an alleged payment, while legal sources cited by The Telegraph suggested evidence arising from the Davis prosecution could potentially provide authorities with grounds to examine the allegations again.

That is a long way from saying charges against Diddy are coming.

In fact, Diddy is not currently a defendant in the Tupac case, and attorneys said before the trial that he would not be among the witnesses called to testify.

Meanwhile, jurors are hearing some remarkable evidence concerning Davis himself.

On Thursday, August 20, prosecutors played a recording of Davis's 2008 interview with investigators in which he said he was inside the white Cadillac involved in the shooting and identified his nephew, Orlando Anderson, as the man who fired the fatal shots.

Davis also described passing a gun toward the back seat.

Those statements could prove devastating-or completely unreliable-depending on which side jurors believe.

The prosecution argues Davis's own words help establish that he participated in organizing the attack. His defense says Davis exaggerated or fabricated stories about Tupac's killing over the years to generate attention and sell books.

Defense attorney Michael Sanft has therefore found himself pursuing an unusual strategy: essentially asking jurors not to trust some of the most sensational things his own client has said.

And that is precisely why the renewed Diddy speculation needs to be treated cautiously.

If Davis's stories about his own participation are being challenged as unreliable, his allegations concerning other people cannot simply be treated as established fact.

For prosecutors, the immediate question isn't whether Diddy ordered Tupac's murder. It is whether they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Davis helped orchestrate the deadly retaliation following the MGM Grand fight.

Davis is the only person ever charged in connection with Tupac's killing.

Yet after three decades of rumors, documentaries, books, interviews and conspiracy theories, the trial is finally putting some of the stories surrounding hip-hop's most infamous murder before a jury.

And as witnesses testify and old recordings are played in open court, the trial could produce more surprises before it's over.

Whether any of those revelations ultimately put Diddy under renewed legal scrutiny remains unknown.

For now, the headline is tantalizing-but the legal reality is much narrower: Keffe D is on trial. Diddy is not.