The last two albums recorded by Broadway legend Carol Channing will be digitally reissued on July 10 via Time Life: "For Heaven's Sake," a collection of classic spiritual songs originally released on CD in 2009, and "True to the Red, White & Blue" (2011), bringing a combined total of 29 tracks to all major streaming platforms for fans to enjoy.
"These projects are works from the heart of Carol Channing," said Larry Ferguson, who produced the albums for Channing. "Carol wanted to do gospel and heritage songs that she learned from her father, which inspired 'For Heaven's Sake.' And she was so proud of her country and had performed for nearly every President since Lyndon Johnson and recorded 'True to The Red, White & Blue' for younger generations who may not have grown up with them as she did."
"Carol Channing was such an icon and beloved by so many generations," says Mike Jason, Time Life Senior Vice President, Live Entertainment. "Recording these last two albums brought her such joy and we're honored to be able to make them widely available to her fans."
Making her Broadway debut in 1941, Channing went on to become one of the biggest stars in theater and earned three Tony Awards (including a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1995). She is perhaps best known for her role as Dolly Levi in Hello, Dolly!, which she originated and performed in a number of productions, three of them on Broadway. Channing won a Golden Globe Award and was nominated for an Academy Award for her role as Muzzy Van Hossmere in the film Thoroughly Modern Millie, was inducted into the American Theater Hall of Fame in 1981 and received the Oscar Hammerstein Award for Lifetime Achievement in Musical Theatre in 2003.
'For Heaven's Sake' track listing:
- He Ain't Never Done Me Nothin' But Good
- Joshua Fit' the Battle of Jericho
- Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
- Roll Jordan Roll
- Modesto, You're My Hometown!
- Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans?
- Old Time Religion
- God's Peace is Like a Gentle Rose
- Medley of Memories: Ezekiel Saw the Wheel/All God's Children Got Shoes To Wear/I Ain't Got a Friend In This World
- Saint James Infirmary
- Shine God's Love to Everyone
- Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
- One More Valley
- I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal
- The Show Must Go On
- He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
'True To The Red, White & Blue' track listing:
- Dear Old Glory
- God Bless America
- Don't Sit Under the Apple Tree (duet with T. Graham Brown)
- Amazing Grace
- Before the Parade Passes By
- Yankee Doodle Dandy/Grand Old Flag
- Over There
- St. Louis Blues
- America the Beautiful
- His Eye Is On the Sparrow (featuring Lulu Roman)
- Battle Hymn of the Republic
About Time Life:
Time Life is one of the world's pre-eminent creators and direct marketers of unique music and video/DVD products, specializing in distinctive multi-media collections that evoke memories of yesterday, capture the spirit of today, and can be enjoyed for a lifetime. TIME LIFE and the TIME LIFE logo are registered trademarks of Time Warner Inc. and affiliated companies used under license by Direct Holdings Americas Inc., which is not affiliated with Time Warner Inc. or Time Inc.