In one of the most emotional tributes yet following the death of Kyle Busch, Richard Childress Racing has announced it is officially suspending use of Busch's iconic No. 8 Chevrolet - with plans to one day hand the number to his 11-year-old son, Brexton Busch.
The organization confirmed that while the team will temporarily switch to the No. 33 Chevrolet beginning at Charlotte Motor Speedway, the No. 8 will not be retired permanently. Instead, it will be held specifically for Brexton should he eventually reach NASCAR's highest level.
"Richard Childress Racing has elected to suspend use of the No. 8," the team said in a statement. "The No. 8 is reserved and ready for Brexton Busch when he is ready to go NASCAR racing."
The announcement has left NASCAR fans deeply emotional, especially given how closely Kyle and Brexton's father-son racing journey had become intertwined in recent years.
Busch was instrumental in helping design RCR's stylized No. 8 logo after joining the organization in 2023, and the number quickly became synonymous with the two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion during the final years of his legendary career.
Now, many fans believe the decision transforms the number into something far greater than a racing symbol - a generational legacy.
Brexton Busch has already emerged as one of the most talked-about young racers in grassroots motorsports. Racing since 2020, the 11-year-old has reportedly won more than 100 races across multiple states, frequently with Kyle coaching from the pits and celebrating beside him in victory lane.
Earlier this year, one of the most memorable moments of Kyle Busch's final season came when Brexton congratulated his father after a NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series victory at Echo Park Speedway - an image many fans are now revisiting with heartbreak following Busch's sudden passing.
Just days before his death, Kyle hinted publicly that he hoped his son might one day surpass his own historic achievements.
"All records are made to be broken," Busch said while reflecting on his 234 NASCAR national series victories. "Maybe I'm training that young guy that's going to break it, my son Brexton."
The emotional comments now carry entirely different weight.
Busch died Thursday after reportedly suffering a medical episode at the General Motors Charlotte Technical Center in Concord, North Carolina. An official cause of death has not yet been publicly released. CBN News recently spoke with Daniel Baldwin, host of the DannyBTalk NASCAR YouTube channel, who reflected on the quieter side of Busch's life that many viewers rarely saw publicly. Baldwin noted that the Busch family was frequently seen praying together before races - moments that revealed how central faith and family had become within their household.
Though Busch will forever be remembered as one of NASCAR's fiercest and most accomplished competitors - particularly for his iconic years driving the No. 18 for Joe Gibbs Racing - many believe his most enduring legacy may ultimately be the path he paved for the son who spent years learning beside him.
For NASCAR fans, the thought of one day seeing Brexton Busch climb into the No. 8 Chevrolet now feels less like a possibility and more like the continuation of a story Kyle Busch never got to finish himself.
Related Article:
NASCAR Mourns Kyle Busch as Racing Star Dies at 41; Driver Spoke Openly About Faith and Family
















